What You Can Eat with Braces
Braces or not, it’s always recommended to eat a well-balanced diet for its renowned health benefits. Cut healthy, hard foods like carrots or apples into smaller pieces. This makes them less a threat to your braces.
What You Can’t Eat with Braces
If you have braces, it’s important to avoid special foods that can increase your risk for cavities or damage your braces. Cut down on sweets, chips and soda. Sugary and starchy foods generate plaque acid and that can cause tooth decay and promote gum disease. Sticky, chewy sweets like caramel can also cause wire damage and loosen brackets.
You should also stay away from hard, crunchy snacks. These types of snacks, including popcorn, nuts and hard candy, can break braces or make their impact less effective.
Here are some other great foods to eat with braces:
- Dairy – yogurt, pudding, soft cheeses
- Steamed veggies
- Soft fruits – melons, grapes, oranges, kiwi
- Non-tough meats – lunch meats, meatballs, soft-cooked meats like chicken
- Seafood – tuna, salmon, fish without bones, etc.
- Light crackers or cookies
- Peanut butter (not super sticky or crunchy) and jelly
- Spaghetti, macaroni & cheese and other noodle dishes
- Soft-cooked rice
- Soft-cooked beans
You should also use caution when eating foods such as:
- Raw veggies like carrots (if you want to eat these, you can cut them into small pieces – just be sure to chew with your back teeth and not your front)
- Corn on the cob (if you can’t resist, cut the corn off the cob before eating)
- Harder breads such as rolls and chewy breads such as bagels (tear or cut into small pieces)
- Pizza crust
- Firmer fruits like apples (cut into small pieces)
- Chips (eat carefully, one at a time)
- Sub sandwiches
Here are some specific foods to avoid with braces:
- Very sticky or chunky peanut butter
- Hard or sticky candy (such as caramel, taffy or gummy bears)
- Corn chips
- Hard taco shells
While wearing braces, you should maintain a healthy, nutritious diet – it’s important for not only your teeth but your overall health! And remember, your teeth are more susceptible to cavities when you have braces. So avoid eating a lot of sugary foods or drinks (especially soda!). If you have any questions about foods to avoid with braces, be sure to check with your us !